Authorising third party access to your account

In certain circumstances you might want somebody else to have the authority to deal with your account on your behalf. This might be a spouse, partner or parent, for example.

To authorise someone else to deal with your account on your behalf, please provide us with confirmation in writing, clearly stating the name of the person or organisation, as well as a password, which the authorised person/organisation can then quote when they contact us.

Your Online Account

Manage your account online to:

  • Make a repayment
  • Apply for deferment
  • View your balance
  • View your transactions
  • Update your contact details